The international Advisory Board of HEUNI serves as an important link with the United Nations and the various regions of Europe. The Chairman of the Advisory Board and four of its members are appointed by the Secretary-General of the United Nations, after consultation with the Government of Finland.
Four members of the Board, including the Director of HEUNI, are appointed by the Government of Finland. A representative of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime participates ex officio in all deliberations of the Advisory Board.
The members of the Advisory Board are appointed for a period of five years. For the 2017 – 2022 term the composition of the Board is as follows:
• Dr Miklós Lévay, Professor of Criminology and Criminal Law, Head of the Department of Criminology, Faculty of Law, Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest, Chairman of the Board
• Ms Anna Alvazzi del Frate, Research Director, Small Arms Survey, Italy
• Ms Corinne Dettmeijer-Vermeulen, National Rapporteur on Trafficking in Human Beings and Sexual Violence against Children, The Netherlands
• Mr Erik Wennerström, Director of the National Council for Crime Prevention, Sweden
• Director of the Division for Treaty Affairs, UNODC (ex officio member)
• Mr Aarne Kinnunen, Deputy Director, Department of Criminal Policy,Ministry of Justice, Finland
• Dr Kimmo Nuotio, Professor of Criminal Law, University of Helsinki, Finland
• Ms Sirpa Rautio, Director of the Human Rights Centre, Office of the Parliamentary Ombudsman, Finland
• Dr Natalia Ollus, Director, HEUNI